September 5, 2018
Approved November 7, 2018
Call to order and roll call: The meeting was called to order at 6:05 p.m. by President Linda Sagese. Present were Courtney Walker, treasurer/membership director; Diane Drutowski, secretary/communications director; Elizabeth Longden; and Lori Metzner, library staff.
Minutes: The minutes of the April 2018 meeting were distributed. Elizabeth Longden made a motion to approve the minutes. Courtney Walker seconded. The motion passed.
Treasurer’s report: Courtney Walker reported $3327.56 in our city fund and $765.83 in our Grow Financial account. Diane Drutowski made a motion to approve the minutes. Elizabeth Longden seconded. The motion passed.
Old Business / June Book Sale: Diane Drutowski reported sales of $1269.59—a very successful sale. Comments:
– Success is mostly due to better quality of books.
– We need more children’s books next time (request donations).
– Eliminate separate prices for mass market and trade paperbacks—all the same price.
– We need more paper bags for next time.
– Bring a bin for “well-loved books” for ten cents each or free.
– An additional volunteer is needed each shift to straighten and arrange books.
Old Business / April Author Event: The Lee Irby author event in April went well, with about 25 people in attendance. Lee donated the profits from selling his books to the friends. Diane Drutowski sent him a thank-you note.
New Business / Upcoming Author Events: Our next author event is Gale Massey, a local crime fiction writer, on September 10. Matt will set up chairs and the banner. Linda Sagese will bring cookies and water.
After that, our author event is Jeff Klinkenberg on November 12.
New Business / January Book Sale: Elizabeth Longden made a motion to hold a second book sale in January. Linda Sagese seconded. The motion passed. The date January 26, 2019, was set. Elizabeth will run the sale. Diane Drutowski will send Elizabeth all the information she has about previous book sales. We will decide later if Elizabeth will also run the June book sale or if Diane will do it.
New Business / New Board Positions and Officer Vacancies: Elizabeth Longden will take over the position of communication director, in charge of publicity and social media. Diane Drutowski will continue the position until after the Klinkenberg author event in November, and then send Elizabeth all her information and passwords.
New Business / Book Bags and Banners: The board discussed book bag ideas, color versus monochrome, and printing places. It was agreed the new banner should say the author event is “Monday,” so it can be set up the Tuesday before every event.
– Former FOMLL Treasurer Monika Finley died. Linda Sagese attended the service.
– The board discussed a historical display for the library. Lori Metzner said the library might offer an information sheet on the history of the library.
– Lori Metzner suggested local historian and author Ray Arsenault for a future author event. We will pass on the suggestion to Maureen McDole.
Next Meeting: The next meeting is Wednesday, November 7, at 6:00 p.m.
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 6:50 p.m.
Diane Drutowski, Secretary